Monday, February 25, 2013

It's that time, almost

The seine is finished.  Actually it has been done since around Christmas time.  It went together very fast.  A new cork line, rolling bunt, border collar, all new chaffing strip, half of the main body web, and a new 25 mesh strip. I also oversaw the rebuild of another seine for a good friend of mine from Kodiak.  I've known Sonny Peterson and his family since I first came to Alaska.  It would be impossible to tell a fraction of the shared experiences we have had over the span of forty some years.  Suffice it to say, they have been very good. Salt of the Earth barely begins to tell the story.  Sonny has retired and his son Howard now runs the family operation. I don't have a picture of the Raven or I'd post it.
Last week I took my new life raft to Tridents facility in Tacoma for shipment North.  It should be in Kodiak waiting for me when I arrive in March. 
This week will be busy, I'll take the seine to our Seattle yard for shipment North. It will be going on the Hazel Lorraine which is skippered by a very good friend, Scott Gilliland.  He will be coming out of the shipyard, sometime in April, after major reconstruction.  They pulled all the engines out of the boat, cut it in half, lengthened and widened it. All new engines, controls, electronics, you name it, they're doing it.
Time to go crawl back into bed.  The wind has finally stopped howling here.  I can never sleep when the wind blows.  Scared to death of dragging anchor I guess.  Old dogs and their foibles.

No comments:

Post a Comment