Monday, October 15, 2012

Take a Breath

Salmon is just about over with for this year. It was an odd year, to say the least. The salmon never really hit the beach and ran. It was very spotty and inconsistent, at the start. They would show up at Surgeon Head one day and then three days later at Cape Kuliuk. They would be gone for a couple of days and then show up at Rocky Point.  It took a while, but we finally got the fish "dialed in" and the ball rolling in the correct direction.
The skiff performed flawlessly.  Better than I had expected. One float switch failed, but it was a backup anyway. I'm still having an issue with my refrigeration (high condenser head pressure), but I'll make some changes in the condenser bypass piping size which should give me more adjust-ability.
Having my kids, as crew, was a big learning experience. It was a lot like herding cats. The pluses far outweighed any inconveniences. They were, without question, the best deck I've had in recent years. No drug or alcohol problems, they didn't care how many sets we made or how much we caught in each haul. They could work in weather and they could handle any power-block speed I threw at them. The coolest part is, they're only going to get better and I have them for the next three years!

No comments:

Post a Comment