Monday, May 14, 2012

Home!

Just got home last night and I'm starting to settle in for a couple of weeks. Cod season in Kodiak is almost over. The jig fleet will finish off the entire quota next week sometime. Almost 8,000,000 lbs. of fish for the jig boats this year! That's gotta be some kind of record.
    I went up the first of March.  I don't know what possessed me to do that.  Money probably.  The weather was bad most of the time and when it wasn't, the "calm" didn't last very long. One day I tried to drive up Piller mountain, which overlooks Kodiak.  I got about half way up and that was it!  The snow hadn't been plowed any further.  Not out of neglect, but neccessity.  The snow was higher than the top of the car. I would show pictures, but I deleted them all by mistake.  Ya gotta be smarter than the tool!  I spent most of March huddled inside the boat doing small projects in the engine room. Had I really been motivated I could have done them in a couple of weeks.
   My regular cod crew were just finishing up the pot season when the captain decided to do all his Halibut IFQ's right after pot season.  There went my crew for jig.  I moped around for about a week thinking about just going home and coming back when salmon started, but I was pretty sure my reception, when I got home, would be even chillier than the weather in Kodiak. Not good, so I poked around and picked up a couple of green kids to fish cod with and they turned out just fine.  We had a pretty good time and caught a few fish too.

No comments:

Post a Comment