Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Do I have to go now?

48 hrs. and counting down to "D" day. Which means it is time to get my sorry butt in gear, get on a plane, and make my "departure" for the far North once again. I hate "D" day. It means no more getting up in the morning with my wife and the kids... Having coffee and reading the paper... A ten minute (hot) shower every morning! Clean underwear and socks. The list goes on, but I think the socks and underwear bit was too much information. Yes, I know I'm being cranky, but now that it's almost time to go to work... I don't wanna go, so there. I can totally relate to how my kids feel on a school day morning. It's hard to crawl out of a nice warm bed, put on your game face and get after it.

I do love catching fish though, so maybe it will be OK after I get over the enormous culture shock of shifting from one life style to another. I will admit, that after 20 years with the girl, there's no place like home! Too bad she gets seasick or I'd take her with me. The first month is the worst. Nothing but boat work, and more boat work, and then even more boat work. It's at about this point where I start to remember why I hate boats (I come out of the engine room feeling like a human Q-Tip). But, then I get to go fishing and that's the payoff. That's what keeps me going.

It was last year in the middle of September on a beautiful, sunny, fall morning. We were towing on the seine, on the point of land, just outside of Ruth Bay. Tyler was sitting in the chair on the other side of the bridge from me. He was looking around at the mountains, trees and water when he turned to me and said, "dude I just love looking out of your office windows". That pretty much sums it all up.

The next post will be from the boat which is currently in the Kodiak Boat Harbor, Slip C8.

No comments:

Post a Comment