Monday, February 28, 2011

You gotta be kidding me!

I'm on the ALCAN, but I'm not moving an inch.  Of all the bummers, when traveling, breaking down is right up there at the top of the list.  I didn't even get 250 miles into British Columbia and the Ford's engine spun a rod bearing.  I wish I could say it was just a bad car, but I picked it out after weeks of searching. I'm a victim of my own thoroughness.  I picked a car that had lived on Vashon Island it's whole life.  Evidently a car which only does short trips to the store and whatnot can have a problem when put under a pretty good load like a long haul to Alaska.  It seems they build up a lot of junk in the oil ways and internal parts of the engine from being a short distance personal vehicle.  After years of easy driving and maybe stretching it's oil changes a bit, I buy the car, have it checked out by my mechanic, load up the old Ford Explorer and head for Alaska.  The short of it is, all the junk breaks loose and drops into the oil screen and plugs it up.  The engine doesn't get quite enough lubrication and bingo, you get a spun rod bearing!  I checked all my options and concluded I will be better off putting a "slightly" used engine in it and continuing my trek north.  It will take two and a half days to get it done and be on my way again.  I really really didn't need this!!!        PS: This is the view from the hotel room

No comments:

Post a Comment