Saturday, November 27, 2010

D@#n Nobeltec !!

Nobeltec navigational software:  I have been a faithful purchaser, regular updater, and user of this program since it first came out.  Oh, the money I've spent on almost every bell and whistle they have offered.  Then a few years ago the honeymoon ended.  I noticed when I went from twilight to evening mode, the red color they used wasn't very good.  It was too bright and not very scalable, so you couldn't really see outside effectively. It simply doesn't allow you to see anything outside the bridge windows unless you turn down the brightness of the monitor.  Then you can't view the nav program.  A true no win scenario.  Somewhere along this time-line Nobeltec came out with a new chart group called Vector charts.  Infinitely scalable with no pixilation.  There was one drawback I discovered after the fact.  You could not turn on the night view mode of the nav program, because it didn't support vector charts.  Vector charts only worked in day and twilight modes!  I travel around the clock and I travel from Washington State to the Bering Sea. So spending all this money for charts that are only good half the time was a real ripoff.  Last year Nobeltec came out with version 10 and everyone told us not to buy it as it was real "buggy".  Then I find out Nobeltec had been sold to The biggest Navigational software company in Europe, "MaxSea".  Rumors were rampant that Nobeltec wouldn't be around much longer.  I figured, this explains all the crumby updates and I'm wondering, what is going to happen? I call the new owners to get an answer.  Is the company going to close down and am I going to lose the thousands of dollars I've spent?  The new owners would not give me a satisfactory answer. They claimed, they didn't know what was going to happen.  Are you kidding me?  Time to start shopping for a new brand of nav software. Oh pooh!  There are many brands to choose from.  I have finally whittled it down to 2 of them.  Olex and ECC Globe.  Both of them start at about 5 or 6 thousand dollars for their "basic package" and top out at around 15 to 20 thousand for all the bells and whistles.  Whew, this just keeps getting better and better.  Now what do I do?  More to follow!

3 comments:

  1. Dave,

    First let me introduce myself. My name is Joel Haney and I'm in charge of Nobeltec's Technical Support and Quality Assurance departments. I'd be happy to explain the removal of the "red" night mode that was removed in version 10, along with showing you how our MAX Pro vector cartography, available in v10, displays in night mode as you would expect. I have screen shots of this that I just captured that I'd love to share with you. Feel free to contact me directly at joel . haney @ nobeltec . com (remove all the spaces, they're there to prevent spam) and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have, along with sharing the screenshots of vector and raster charts in night mode.

    I'd also like to comment on the topic of Nobeltec "closing down". I'm sorry you didn't get a straight answer, hopefully I can give you what you're looking for. There has been absolutely no indication from our new owners, Signet SA, who also own MaxSea and MapMedia that they have any intent in closing Nobeltec down. In fact, quite the opposite has been obvious to us over the past 1+ year of new ownership, they're actually actively investing in us and are very interested in our products and having us help to make their products better and vice versa. We see this as a win-win for us and the marketplace as a whole. Signet SA is 48% owned by Furuno which we also see as a very positive thing for us in the future. We're not going anywhere, not from where I sit.

    Again, I'd be glad to discuss any of this in greater detail via email, so don't hesitate to contact me.

    Regards,
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could start by actually calling Nobeltec for the truth...

    Please don't state mistruths about Nobeltec or MaxSea. What is written above is patently false.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry anonymous, everything went down just as stated. Read Nobeltec's post above. No mistruths nothing false. You have the right to disagree, but you don't have the right to call me a liar and get away with it. I don't know what you think you're accomplishing by being rude, but it doesn't work with me. So, have a nice day and I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete